Welcome to the Sorted community forum! Please read our house rules and help us keep this a safe space to talk money.

Spendin

2017 Charity Challenge

Spendin    69

2017 Charity Challenge

I really believe that one of the best parts of getting Sorted with money is the ability to give. This manifests itself in my budget as two categories: gifts and charity.
I believe dedicating an amount of your money each month to giving to charity is a really healthy exercise in money management - your mindset shifts from "How much stuff can I buy" or "How much money can I accumulate" to "How am I going to help others?".

Hence I thought it'd be nice to create a thread where we can all commit to giving to charity, and track how we go. It could also promote some lesser-known charities among the community that could be very worthy of more support!

And a bonus of charitable giving - it's all tax deductable. So if you're in the 30% tax bracket, it effectively only costs 70c to give $1.00 to a charity.

I myself keep my charitable giving quite modest. I know that if I focus on savings and investments now, I'll be in a much better place later on to help charities (both financially and with my time) later on in life. However I know that if I don't get in to the habit of giving now, it will be harder later on - plus it feels good no matter how small. So I dedicate a small amount of my budget each month, and plan to raise this over the years. 

Share your giving below!

Edited by Spendin'
  • Like 3

Spendin    69

Commitment: Give to at least one charity every month.

My March Giving

• SAFE - $25 to support their caged eggs work.
  • Leukaemia NZ - $25 as part of a friend's Shave for a Cure.
Edited by Spendin'
  • Like 2

Stacrafty    7

don't wanna sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet but

World vision since 2001, $40 a month, but cancelled because its a christian organisation and was prejudice against certain things

So currently (monthy)
Childfund - $40
Red Cross - $15
Fred Hollows - $15
Amensty International  - $10
Greenpeace - $5

And random givealittles when they pop up

Collating everything at tax return time does start to be tedious!

• Like 2

Spendin    69

Eek, I've been slack responding to my own challenge post!

July
- Donated to the Fred Hollows Foundation via a friend's fundraiser

August
- Donated to the SPCA.

• Like 2