Welcome to the Sorted community forum! Please read our house rules and help us keep this a safe space to talk money.

Esther from Sorted

Welcome to the brand new Sorted forum!

We envision the Sorted Community being a safe space to talk about money, no matter what your financial situation.

You’ll need a registered Sorted account to contribute to this forum. We ask for your name and a valid email address as part of the sign up process.

Your Sorted name will automatically be used when posting to the forum. If you’d prefer to use a different name on the forum, you can change your display name by clicking on your name at the top of the screen, then Account Settings, and then Display Name.

New topics and replies will be post-moderated on working days. We may remove any content that doesn’t abide by the rules.

That brings us to the house rules (which you can find in full here) but in short:

• Don't post personally identifying information (addresses, phone numbers, bank account details)
  • Don't post abusive, profane, obscene or offensive content
  • Don't promote products or services

Thanks, and happy posting!

• Like 3

Kathy Smith    1

Being in debt is stressful, when I found myself in debt I went to budgeting advice. They were brilliant and very supportive, and I got back into control of my money and budget. I am a person that budgeting does not come easily, but I have a few things that I regularly use:

1) When I do need to purchase something I research my options, both online and visiting retail outlets. I then reassess  whether I do need it, if so then I will make a purchase.

2)Never make spontaneous  purchases, these tend to be my most expensive mistakes.

3) Have a few dishes that come from the pantry. One of my fall backs is 2 minute noodles ( throw away the flavour sachet) use some onion, carrot, frozen peas and tin of tuna with a span of soy.

4) Always check the pantry and fridge and the specials then make a list. Stick to your shopping list.

5) pay your savings first, because that is looking after yourself.

• Like 1

Tina    20

For me debt is only stressful if it is making me move backwards rather than forwards. A mortgage on a house is good if I can afford payments, paying a third of my salary on rent is not for me.

I do tend to shop around but only buy from NZ retailers who are GST registered as I want to support them and not overseas online marketers  who avoid paying tax.

also Clarify whether ones needs to make a purchase like a good shoes for work or a want like another pair of sandals for a night out.

Eat well on a $100 fortnightly budget with enough meat, vegetables, etc. If i look after my body I will be more healthy to do my job and will get less sick. In the long term, I will be better off spending a little bit more on myself. 

Live closer to work to save on fuel costs.

Somebody once told me that the first payment should be the mortgage but the second should be the insurance to protect the investment. Same pay for your living costs but  have insurance for yourself. Emergency savings is a good way too. 

see my other post under 52 week challenge for further breakdown, thanks 

• Like 2

Tony    2
On 8/14/2017 at 8:04 PM, Kathy Smith said:

Being in debt is stressful, when I found myself in debt I went to budgeting advice. They were brilliant and very supportive, and I got back into control of my money and budget. I am a person that budgeting does not come easily, but I have a few things that I regularly use:

1) When I do need to purchase something I research my options, both online and visiting retail outlets. I then reassess  whether I do need it, if so then I will make a purchase.

2)Never make spontaneous  purchases, these tend to be my most expensive mistakes.

3) Have a few dishes that come from the pantry. One of my fall backs is 2 minute noodles ( throw away the flavour sachet) use some onion, carrot, frozen peas and tin of tuna with a span of soy.

4) Always check the pantry and fridge and the specials then make a list. Stick to your shopping list.

5) pay your savings first, because that is looking after yourself.

Very good points, especially No 5. I quote this as "pay yourself first"

• Like 2