Welcome to the Sorted community forum! Please read our house rules and help us keep this a safe space to talk money.

Sign in to follow this  
Hilinda

Debt to Eat

Hilinda    0

Can't seem to stay out of debt. Sits on an average about $5k but something always seems to come up that we get back into debt again almost rifht after we get it down. 

Spendin    69

Sorry to hear Hilinda :(

This video might interest you. The same guy in that video has a set of 'Baby Steps' for getting out of debt and getting ahead. See them here: https://www.daveramsey.com/baby-steps/

I started following the baby steps a few years ago and am now on baby step 4. Feels great. A lot of people think managing your money is boring and scary - it's actually the total opposite, it gives you such a feeling of freedom when you get in control.

You can do this! :D

• Like 2

KEZZA    29

@Hilinda I was in the same boat last year, but have had to be incredibly strict with a written budget (and I also follow Dave Ramsey) and a dialed down lifestyle.  The frustration of one step forward and two back drove me nuts, as did periods of not working.  Finding being intentional with spending is everything - and way less stressful.   To show what's possible, this time last year, I had $5k of credit card debt that I paid off, as sick of paying the bank late fees, interest and the like to make their branch windows shinier.  Then along came some pricey car repairs, dental bills and life etc.  Now I have almost $5K to cover bills, emergencies, in between jobs if that happens, with some set aside to earn interest and chuck on the student loan before 31 March (fingers crossed it stays that way and my contract gets extended) - the Ramsey system can seem brutal when you start, but so worth it down the track - good luck.